POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Q: blurring bump map image in pov ? : Re: Q: blurring bump map image in pov ? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: blurring bump map image in pov ?
From: Shay
Date: 29 Jul 2004 17:31:16
Message: <41096ca4$1@news.povray.org>
Jaap wrote:

> is there some way to do this inside pov ? (i.e. using
> the same black and white image as used for switching
> between the 2 textures)
> is it possible to get direct acces to the pixel data?
> (so i can write my own blurring functions)

Can be done directly, if very slowly in inside POV.
To get direct access to the pixel data of your map, you can use (untested):

#local Pix = function {
   pattern {
     image_pattern { png "bump.png" }
   }
}

image is mapped in function from x=0 y=0 to x=1 y=1, so you would get
pixel <50,100> with
#local Value = Pix ( 50.5/mapwidth , 100.5/mapheight, 0 );

Simpler is to blur the function using another function. A simple blurred
function using the above defined 'Pix' function would look like this:
#local Blurred = function {(Pix(x+.1,y,z) + Pix(x-.1,y,z))/2}

Apply whatever blurring function you like, then add layers, then blur
again, use a sin function, whatever until you get what you want.

When done, render with:
pigment { function { Blurred(x,y,z) } }
or:
normal { function { Blurred(x,y,z) } }

If you've got the patience for that kind of render time, then I would
suggest at least trying the object pattern (with a text object) as a
function instead of using your map. Slower, but the results would likely
be better.

  -Shay